As a leader in Engineering education J.N.N.I.E. sustains a diverse academic community of faculty, non-teaching staff & students. Through this community we create, integrate & disseminate knowledge & foster in our students the development of critical thinking and other technical skills along with the attitudes & abilities that enable them to live as educated, engaged, empowered leaders and members of society.
Department of Civil Engineering
To educate & empower students in Engineering Technology & Management & thereby helping them to become effective, engaged & contributing citizens.
- To study & understanding the Engineering concepts both in classroom lectures & by laboratory activities.
- To maintain a close rapport with industries to make our institution a centre for college industry collaboration (CCLC).
- To empower students in all aspects of engineering education like Industrial visits, national technical symposia and workshop methodologies.
About the Department
The Civil Engineering Department has been establishing in the year 2013. The department offers 4 year UG program in B.E.Civil Engineering. The department aims at development of student community to face the future world with latest technical knowledge through research, good leadership Qualities, industry-institution interaction and spirit of competence. The department is equipped with faculty members impairing high quality of discipline and engineering education.
Civil engineering is the basic foundation of the engineering fields. Our Civil engineering department focusses on developing students and future engineers who can define and create the infrastructure of the world which include Water works, Sewers, Dams, Power Plants, Transmission Towers/Lines, Railroads, Highways, Bridges, Tunnels, Irrigation Canals, River Navigation, Shipping Canals, Traffic Control, Mass Transit, Airport Runways, Terminals, Industrial Plant Buildings,Skyscrapers,etc The activities of the departments are carried out as follows:
- Building Technology and Construction management
- Environmental and Water Resource Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
The faculties of the Department are very dedicated in imparting the knowledge to the students to carry out the analysis of problems and solutions, planning, co-ordination, calculation, direction and other activities. They make the students qualified to accomplish inter-disciplinary jobs in the evaluation not only of aspects concerning design and calculation but also of general features such as economic and social aspects.
Environmental Engineering Laboratory
This lab includes the list of experiments to be conducted for characterization of water and Municipal sewage. At the end of course, the student is expected to aware of the procedure for quantifying quality parameters for water and sewage.
Hydraulics Engineering Laboratory
This lab enables to verify the principles studied in theory by conducting the experiments flow measuring devices in pipes and open channels.
Soil mechanics Laboratory
Soil Mechanics Laboratory helps the student acquire the capacity to test the soil to assess its engineering and Index properties.
Survey Practical – I/II Laboratory
Survey field techniques teaches the measurement of horizontal angles by reiteration, repetition and vertical angles and the Theodolite survey traverse describes the height and distances- Triangulation- Single plane method.
Strength of Materials Laboratory
The experiment works involved in the laboratory makes the student understand the fundamental modes of loading of the structures and make measurements of loads, displacement and strains. Relating these quantities, the student obtain the strength of material and stiffness properties of structural elements.
Computer Aided Building Drawing
Computer Aided Building Drawing helps the student to draft on Computer building drawings (Plan, elevation and Sectional views) in accordance with development and control rules satisfying orientation and functional requirements.
Environmental Engineering Design and Drawing
The subject includes process design (excluding structural design) of major units associated with water and sewage treatment and transport including house drainage. At the end of the course, the student is expected to know about the sizing of treatment plant units and draw the general arrangement.
Irrigation design and drawing using CAD
The student acquire hands on experience in design and preparation of structural drawing for concrete/steel structures normally encountered in Civil Engineering Practice.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE)
- Indian Concrete Institute (ICI)
- Indian Society of Technical Education (ISTE)
BUSINESS ENGLISH CERTIFICATE (BEC)
- Mr.P.G.Seetharam, Assistant Professor- Published a Journal in COST EFFECTIVENEES IN QUALITY CONSTRUCTION.
- Ms.C.Kamakshi, Assistant Professor – Published a Journal in CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF ELEMENTS THAT POIGNANT DURING CONSTRUCTION STAGE.
- Mrs.AL.Mahalakshmi, Assistant Professor attended one week FDP (Faculty Development Program) in SA Engineering College in Design of Steel Structures.
- Mr.K.Aslam,Assistant Professor attended Two week STTP (Short Term Training Programs) in Introduction to Structural Engineering organized by IIT Kharagpur
- Mr.K.Aslam, Assistant Professor attended one week FDP (Faculty Development Program) in BIM (Building Information Modelling) by ICTACT at Amirtha Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
- Students have participated in various events and secured various prices in symposiums organized by colleges in Chennai.